Pertaining to the fermenting of honey or where honey is the primary sugar in the alcoholic beverage.
Mead is an ancient beverage that consists of honey and water fermented to create an alcoholic beverage. There are many sub-categories of mead that can be defined by what additions are made to the fermentation.
- Traditional - Water and Honey in different ratios to produce a dry to sweet beverage.
- Melomel - Fruit juice and Honey. Specialty categories are:
- Cyser - apple juice and honey
- Pyment - grape juice and honey
- Metheglin - Water, spices, and honey.
- Braggot - Barley sugars and honey.