What possible health benefits are there with drinking alcohol in moderation?
First of all, let us define what drinking in moderation is.
Caveat: This question deals only with possible health benefits! There remains always some risks in drinking alcohol even moderately, which I am not dealing with here.
Moderate alcohol use for healthy adults generally means up to one drink a day for women and up to two drinks a day for men.
Examples of one drink include:
Beer: 12 fluid ounces (355 milliliters)
Wine: 5 fluid ounces (148 milliliters)
Distilled spirits (80 proof): 1.5 fluid ounces (44 milliliters)
Eating a healthy diet and being physically active also has a great impact on one’s health benefits. So any moderate drinking should been seen in light of one’s general way of life at the time.
Some possible health benefits of moderate drinking are:
- Reducing your risk of developing and dying of heart disease (1)
- Possibly reducing your risk of ischemic stroke (when the arteries to your brain become narrowed or blocked, causing severely reduced blood flow) (1)
- Possibly reducing your risk of diabetes (1)
- Red Wine Can Actually Burn Fat (2)
- Alcohol Can Help Fight Colds (2)
- Red Wine is Beneficial to Your Heart (2)
- Drinking Moderately Can Improve Sexual Function in Men (2)
- And for Women, It Offers Libido-Boosting Powers (2)
- Red Wine Can Boost Your Memory (2)
- Wine Can Make You Live Longer (2)
- Vino Can Boost Your Vaccine's Effects (2)
- White Wine Is Weight-Loss Friendly (2)
- A Glass of Cabernet Could Enhance Your Workout (2)
- Beer Has Vitamins (2)
- Beer Lowers Heart Attack Risks in Women (2)
- Like Wine, Vodka Is Also Heart-Friendly (2)
- Whisky Can Help a Sore Throat (2)