Most fermenting vessels require a stopper to hold an airlock in place or seal it up while moving so what is the technical name of that stopper?

  • 1
    Bung. The hole is called the bung hole and now you know where that term came from! – farmersteve Nov 24 '18 at 15:08

The stopper is called a “bung”. The hole is called the bung hole.

A bung, stopper or cork is a truncated cylindrical or conical closure to seal a container, such as a bottle, tube or barrel. Unlike a lid, which encloses a container from the outside without displacing the inner volume, a bung is partially inserted inside the container to act as a seal. - Bung (Wikipedia)


Bung in the bunghole of a wine barrel

  • Thank you @Eric Shain – Insha Darwaish Nov 24 '18 at 14:34
  • @kengraham Thanks for the edits! – Eric S Nov 24 '18 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.