Kvass is a low alcoholic drink made of (usually rye) bread. Is there something similar in Italy (like malt beer in Germany)? Or maybe is it possible to buy kvass in big supermarkets?
May be related: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karamalz but I'm not sure. This (German) drink is also popular in Alto Adige / Südtirol, German speaking county in Northern Italy.– MattAllegroMay 11, 2019 at 11:46
1@MattAllegro Karamalz is close indeed (it's a sort of malt beer I mentioned in the question) but not the same.– Altbier is not Old BeerMay 15, 2019 at 12:51
Your best bet is likely to be a Russian/Eastern European store. There are some in many larger Italian cities, search for "negozio russo" or "alimentari russo" in an area you are interested in. Some possibilities:
- "Kozak" - Via dei Conciatori, 1c
- "Galychnya" - Via Santa Maria delle Fornaci, 6
- "Il Negozio Tipico Russo", Via Vincenzo Cabianca, 10
- "Алёнушка" - via Francesco Carrara, 22
- "Angolo dell'Est" Vicolo Canneto il Curto
- "Europa-Est" - via Trento Trieste 34/a
It may pay to call ahead to see if they carry Kvass, if you can find a phone number.