I want to home-brew some mead because why not , plus it seems pretty easy to do.

My question is :

Can any mistake in the brewing process make the drink "poisonous" ?

1 Answer 1


If you are using honey, water and yeast. Then the answer is NO. But alcohol is a poisonous substance if not used properly. You cannot make it strong enough to "poison" you in the traditional sense. Could you poison yourself by drinking too much of it, sure it's possible. But, there are no by-products from the fermentation process that would "poison" you. Enjoy!

  • 1
    Thanks a lot , that's exactly the answer I was waiting for !
    – Rolexel
    Apr 28, 2017 at 14:34
  • 2
    Also assuming proper sanitation, but that has nothing to do with mead in particular (would apply to any homebrewing). Apr 28, 2017 at 14:45
  • There seems to be a lot of worry about poisoning just recently - have I missed something? Apr 29, 2017 at 5:37
  • I really think @MonicaCellio's comment about sanitisation should be first and foremost in the answer. They are asking "Can any mistake in the brewing process...". The one difference I found between mead brewing and other brewing is you don't boil the mix so contamination is slightly more likely. Even with bad sanitisation from what I can tell making something toxic is unlikely because the alcohol kills most things, you will just create something undrinkable. I've heard mead has a bad reputation, but I'm not sure why.
    – AnnanFay
    Aug 17, 2018 at 21:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.